"In recreation we create a sense of joy and fulfillment"
Social Program Mission Statement
Sky Lights Center's Social Program provides opportunities for members to have fun, develop friendships, reduce stress, increase leisure skills, build self-esteem, learn about community resources and improve physical and mental health.
Recreation is everyone's right with the responsibility being the use of free time in enjoyable, meaningful and constructive ways.
- Historic Sites
- Professional Sports Events
- Amusement Parks
- Overnight Trips
- Boat rides
- Movie Theater
- City Parks
- Billiards Hall
- Pizza Party (last Friday of the month)
- Table Games & Videos
- Shopping Malls
- Recreation & Policy Meeting ( every 1st Saturday)
- Holiday Parties
- And more...
Recreation Program Hours
- Friday: 5:00 P.M. – 9:00 P.M.
- Saturdays: 10:00 A.M.– 7:00 P.M.
- Sundays: 9:00 A.M. – 3:00 P. M.
Enrollment Requirements and Procedures
- 18 years old +
- Psychiatric diagnosis Psychiatric of psychosocial evaluation dated within
- year of referral
- Physical Examination dated within one year of referral
Referral material should be sent to:
Sky Light Center
307 St. Marks Place
Staten Island, NY 10301
Social Program Rights and Responsibilities
Sky Light Center's participation in the NYS Dept. of Health Food Program offers nutritious meals for free.
Social Program Meal Times:
Fridays @ 5:00 P.M.
Saturdays @ Noon & 5:00 P.M.
Sundays @ Noon
- Members are wanted, needed and expected to participate in program planning, and organizing of activities.
- Transportation is provided home Friday and Saturday evenings.
- All in-house activities and the majority of community events are free of charge.
- The Recreation Program is part of Sky Light Center's larger clubhouse model program. As such it follows the International Standards for Clubhouse Programs as defined by Clubhouse International as well as the policies and procedures developed by the members and staff members of Sky Light Center.
What is Recreation?
- "Recreation is an emotional condition within a human being that flows from a feeling of wellbeing and satisfaction of mastery, achievement, exhilaration, acceptance, success, personal worth and pleasure."
- "Recreation reinforces a positive self-image."
- "Recreation is a response to esthetic experiences, achievement of personal goals and/or positive feedback from others."
- – From "Don't Forget the Fun: Developing Inclusive Recreation", David Gray